Module 4 Assignment
For the Module 4 Assignment, please answer the following questions:
1. In broad terms, why is some risk diversifiable? Why are some risks non diversifiable?
Does it follow that an investor can control the level of unsystematic risk in a portfolio, but not the level of systematic risk?
2. Suppose the government announces that, based on a just-completed survey, the growth rate in the economy is likely to be 2 percent in the coming year, as compared to 5 percent for the past year.
Will security prices increase, decrease, or stay the same following this announcement?
Does it make any difference whether the 2 percent figure was anticipated by the market? Explain.
3. If a portfolio has a positive investment in every asset, can the expected return on the portfolio be greater than that on every asset in the portfolio?
Can it be less than that on every asset in the portfolio? If you answer yes to one or both of these questions, give an example to support your answer.
4. True or false: The most important characteristic in determining the expected return of a well-diversified portfolio is the variance of the individual assets in the portfolio. Explain.
5. If a portfolio has a positive investment in every asset, can the standard deviation on the portfolio be less than that on every asset in the portfolio? What about the portfolio beta?Hide