Week 6: Medical Application Critical Appraisal Guidelines
The purposes of this assignment are to: (a) demonstrate nursing informatics skills to critique commonly used mobile applications, (b) synthesize nursing and non-nursing knowledge using a guided appraisal process, and (c) develop NI skills with computer technologies to support professional and personal development with implementation of medical applications in clinical practice.
Mobile Health, also known as mHealth, is defined as the use of wireless communication to support efficiency in public health and clinical practice. To facilitate mHealth, mobile applications (apps) have been developed, which can be executed either on a mobile platform or on a web-based platform which is executed on a server. Mobile medical apps are often accessories to a FDA-regulated medical device. Incumbent upon each healthcare provider is a clear understanding of the implications of this guidance on clinical practice as well as demonstrate discretion with regard to medical app implementation.
Course Outcomes NR599 Week 6: Medical Application Critical Appraisal Guidelines
This assignment is guided by the following Course Outcomes (COs):
CO 2 Demonstrate synthesis of nursing and non-nursing science with information and computer technologies through collaborative advanced nursing practice (PO 5)
CO 4 Exemplify professional values and scholarship to support professional and personal development (PO 1)
This assignment is due no later than the Sunday of Week 6 by 11:59 PM MT. Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment.
Total Points Possible: 200 Points
Preparation and Paper Outline:
- PART 1: The medical application selection for this assignment is contingent upon the month of your birthday. Use the table below to identify the Medical App for this assignment.
|Your Birth Month||Medical App for Assignment|
|March, April, May||Medscape|
|June, July, August||CDC Milestone Tracker|
|September, October||ICD10 Consult|
- Use the Google Play Store for Android devices or the Apple iTunes App Store for Apple devices to search for the medical application as determined by the table above.
- In order to complete the following guided appraisal, download the app to a mobile device (smartphone or tablet). The apps are free and do not require purchase to complete this assignment.
- Provide proof of download by attaching a screenshot of the device screen in JPEG or PDF format to the assignment upload tab (in addition to submitting this assignment). Following the general instructions below for smartphone devices (specific device instructions may vary):
- Android 4.0 and Newer: (Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S 4, Galaxy Note, HTC One, Nexus phones, Droid phones)
- Any Android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) or later can easily take a screenshot. Hold the Power and Volume Down buttons together until the screen flashes and you hear the shutter sound. The screenshot image will appear in your Gallery app, usually inside the Screenshots folder
- The method for taking a screenshot in iOS has been the same since version 2.0. Hold the Power (Sleep/Wake) and Home buttons together until the screen flashes and you hear the shutter sound. The screenshot image will appear in your Photos app under Camera Roll.
- Android 4.0 and Newer: (Galaxy SIII, Galaxy S 4, Galaxy Note, HTC One, Nexus phones, Droid phones)
- PART 2: Answer the Medical App Critical Appraisal questions thoughtfully and comprehensively. Use the criteria headings on this outline as the headings on your properly APA- formatted paper.
- NAME: What is the name of the app?
- AUTHOR: Who created, developed, or maintains the app? Explain.
- ENDORSEMENT: Is the app licensed by the Food and Drug Administration, other government agency, or endorsed by an academic institution or medical professional organization? Explain.
- OPERATION: Which platform (mobile or web-based) is suitable for the app and why?
- AESTHETICS: Is the information displayed in a way that is easy to navigate? Is it easy to use? Can you use it without instructions? Explain.
- PURPOSE: What is the intended purpose or use of the app?
- CLINICAL DECISION MAKING: What influence does the app have on clinical decision making? Explain.
- SAFETY: Is there potential for patient harm? Explain.
- USER: For whom is the app intended (providers, patients, or others)? Explain.
- DISTRIBUTION: Is it designed for local use or wider distribution? Explain.
- CREDIBILITY: How credible are the sources of information? How do you know? Explain.
- RELEVANCE: How current is the information in the app? When was the last update? Is the content consistent with evidence-based literature or best practices/standards of care? Explain.
- PART 3: Provide one example of an appropriate patient or clinical scenario for this app. The example should include the following details:
- Patient Age-population (Pediatric, Adult, Geriatric)
- Clinical Setting (Hospital, Private Practice, Extended Living Facility)
- History of Present Illness and Diagnosis or Condition
- Provide a detailed description of the app in your example. When will the app be implemented (at the Point-of-care or elsewhere)? Who will use the app? What potential impact will it have on the scenario? Incorporate the critical appraisal information from Part 2. Provide one evidence-based scholarly article as a reference to support clinical decision making.
- This assignment will be graded on the quality of the information, inclusion of one evidence-based scholarly resource, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, and organization based on the required components (see the paper headings and content details in Part 1).
- The length of the paper is to be between 1,000 and 1,500 words, excluding title page and reference list.
- Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in “.docx.”
- APA format is required in this assignment, explicitly for in-text citations and the reference list. Use 12-point Times New Roman font with 1-inch margins and double spacing. See the APA manual for details regarding proper citation. See resources under Course Resources, “Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers” for further clarification. NR599 Week 6: Medical Application Critical Appraisal Guidelines
* Scholarly Sources: Only scholarly sources are acceptable for citation and reference in this course. These include peer-reviewed publications, government reports, or sources written by a professional or scholar in the field. The textbooks and lessons are NOT considered to be outside scholarly sources. For the threaded discussions and reflection posts, reputable internet sources such as websites by government agencies (URL ends in .gov) and respected organizations (often ends in .org) can be counted as scholarly sources. The best outside scholarly source to use is a peer-reviewed nursing journal. You are encouraged to use the Chamberlain library and search one of the available databases for a peer-reviewed journal article. The following sources should not be used: Wikipedia, Wikis, or blogs. These websites are not considered scholarly as anyone can add to these. Please be aware that .com websites can vary in scholarship and quality. For example, the American Heart Association is a .com site with scholarship and quality. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the scholarship and quality of any .com site. Ask your instructor before using any site if you are unsure. Points will be deducted from the rubric if the site does not demonstrate scholarship or quality. Current outside scholarly sources must be published with the last 5 years. Instructor permission must be obtained BEFORE the assignment is due if using a source that is older than 5 years.
NR599_Week 6 Medical Application Critical Appraisal
|NR599_Week 6 Medical Application Critical Appraisal|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCriterion 1 PART 1: Medical Application Selection, Download, and Proof of Download Must demonstrate the following elements:|
Student identified the medical application according to the table provided in the guidelines for the assignment
Downloaded the app to an appropriate mobile device
Provided clear proof of download
Screenshot of the device screen in JPEG or PDF format
(4 Required Elements)
|30 pts Excellent Demonstrated all elements for Criterion 27 pts V.Good Missing 1 element for Criterion 25 pts Satisfactory Missing 2 elements for Criterion 15 pts Needs Improvement Missing 3 elements for this Criterion Or Student selected the incorrect medical application according to the table provided in the guidelines for the assignment; 0 pts Unsatisfactory Missing 4 elements for the Criterion Or No assignment||30 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCriterion 2 PART 2 Critical Appraisal, Scholarliness and Scholarly Sources Must demonstrate the following elements:|
Answered 13 out of 13 questions in PART 2 of the critical appraisal
Student demonstrated use of scholarly inquiry
Responses to guided appraisal questions were comprehensive, detailed, and specific
Demonstrated understanding of the intended use of the medical application
Conducted critical appraisal using a systematic approach
Incorporated at least one EBP scholarly source
(6 Required Elements)
|80 pts Excellent Demonstrated all elements for Criterion 73 pts V.Good Did NOT address 1 question in PART 2 of the critical appraisal; Or Missing 1 element for the Criterion 66 pts Satisfactory Did NOT address 2 questions in PART 2 of the critical appraisal Or Missing 2 elements for the Criterion 40 pts Needs Improvement Did NOT address 3 or more questions in PART 2 of the critical appraisal Or Missing 3 elements for the Criterion Or No Scholarly Sources 0 pts Unsatisfactory Missing 4 or more elements for the Criterion Or No assignment||80 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCriterion 3 PART 3: Application of Knowledge and Clinical Implementation Must demonstrate the following elements:|
Constructed a clinical scenario which included all of the following: Patient Age-population (Pediatric, Adult, Geriatric),Clinical Setting (Hospital, Private Practice, Extended Living Facility), History of Present Illness and Diagnosis or Condition
Provided a detailed description of the app used in the scenario
Incorporated the critical appraisal information in the scenario
Demonstrated synthesis of knowledge and critical reasoning skills relevant to the clinical role of an advanced practice nurse
(4 Required Elements)
|60 pts Excellent Demonstrates all elements for the Criterion 55 pts V.Good Missing 1 element for the Criterion 50 pts Satisfactory Missing 2 elements for the Criterion 30 pts Needs Improvement Missing 3 elements for the Criterion 0 pts Missing 4 elements for the Criterion Or No assignment||60 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeFormat Criterion 1 Grammar, Spelling, Syntax, APA Format, and Word Requirements NOTE: Failure to comply with the word requirements for this assignment will result in the grade of zero (0) for this Criterion.||30 pts Excellent Grammar, spelling, syntax and/or APA format are accurate, or with zero to one error. 27 pts V.Good Two to three errors in grammar, spelling, syntax and/or APA format. 25 pts Average Four to five errors in grammar, spelling, syntax and/or APA format. 15 pts Needs Improvement Six or seven errors grammar, spelling, syntax and/or APA format. 0 pts Unsatisfactory Eight or more errors in grammar, spelling, syntax, and/or APA format Or Failure to comply with the word requirements for this assignment Or No assignment||30 pts|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeLate penalty deductions||0 pts No Mark 0 pts Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment. minus ______ points||0 pts|
|Total Points: 200|